Hiring a street sweeper is no different than hiring any other contractor; it is important to find a reputable company with the knowledge to understand your project scope and the experience to handle the job with efficiency and professionalism. As you determine the best street sweeping service for your residential, commercial or municipal property, consider these four key tips:
Knowledge and experience with asphalt and other paving surfacesAsphalt is asphalt, right? Actually, no. There are different types and grades of asphalt pavement. A street sweeping company should have a thorough knowledge of various types of pavement and understand what type of equipment will be needed for each unique job.
Porous surfaces are becoming more and more popular, as they are considered an effective way to mitigate stormwater runoff. There are a couple of different types of porous, load-bearing surfaces that of course, require cleaning. The most common surfaces that would benefit from regular street sweeping services include: concrete surfaces, rubber surfaces made with bits of rubber from tires, and asphalt surfaces.
An experienced sweeper will understand the unique needs for each surface type and will work with you to develop the best cleaning plan for your surface.
The right street cleaning equipment for the jobThere are sweepers of varying sizes and designs, and it’s important to have the right sweeper for each unique job.
- For cleaning porous pavement, a pure vacuum sweeper is known to be a top choice since it offers the ability to create the high vacuum level of water needed to thoroughly clean and restore the filtration systems.
- A mechanical sweeper is ideal for asphalt and concrete surfaces, like driveways, parking lots and roadways. This sweeper has improved maneuverability and is often equipped with a third front broom that allows it to get into tight spaces and corners.
- Regenerative air sweepers clean surfaces using air instead of brushes. Essentially, they utilize a hydraulic system that pressures dirt and particles up off the street, driving the debris to the center where it then gets vacuumed. Additionally, water is sprayed by the vehicle onto the surface to trap dust and particulates for ease of cleanup.
Their reputation and ability to address your unique cleaning requirementsA reputable street sweeper will know the right questions to ask you, and they will understand how to create a cleaning plan to meet your unique needs. You should expect them to inquire about a number of factors, including:
- How often the streets and/or surfaces are currently cleaned and how often you’d like to have them professional cleaned
- Type of debris, and how much there is to clean
- The type of job and any specific conditions; e.g., streets and highways, construction, parking lots, warehouses, or communities.
The ability to respond to unexpected problemsAs with many industries, a reputable street sweeping company draws from knowledge and experience when approaching problems or challenges. The ability to be proactive and prepared for any unexpected events is a great asset. Some pavement issues may become evident while a sweeper is on a job. A knowledgeable sweeper can then inform the client of the situation, and will even make recommendations regarding ways to address a matter before it becomes a problem.
If you’re in need of street sweeping services, we hope this information helped you understand some of the issues you might be faced with and how to ensure the company you hire will be fully capable of handling anything that may pop up.
With 75 years of asphalt paving experience, from highways to driveways, we are your local source for all of your asphalt paving needs.
For more information on Wolf Paving or to request a free quote for your next paving project contact one of our two offices. If you live or work in the Milwaukee area, call us at 262-965-2121. For the Madison area, call us at 608-249-7931.
For additional resources and information about street sweeping, visit: http://www.powersweeping.org/